Saturday, November 3, 2012

Just want to share what a complete inspiration all of my wonderful running friends have been.
After over a year achilles hell, I was finally able to complete 2 races and actually did ok. On Oct 07/12 I ran the TC 10 mile race and ran the exact same time as the year before -to the second!!-couldn't do that twice! And on 10/27/12 I ran the Team Ortho Monster Dash 1/2 marathon. (also same time as last yr-only off  by seconds)

I know to most of you these would seem like very small accomplishments. To me they are absolutely gigantic hurdles. After last Nov when my achilles said -no more- I was very very scared I may never run again,especially any more than 1-2 miles. I now know that this was just one more go around the mountain of life. Not that everything is perfect-there is the twingy knee thing-blah blah blah-BUT I am moving forward!!!
I am so excited as a matter of fact that I am really seriously planning on my first ultra 50K next spring, or for sure fall if the training timing doesn't work out. Because of my flower shop schedule-timing is a huge factor.
So as I move forward and start planning, I asked myself the inevitable WHY??? I am almost 56 yrs old and pretty sure I really don't have to prove anything to myself or anyone else for that matter.
So my reasons are simple.

1) Because I really believe I can finish-not sure how long it will take-but I KNOW I can finish.
2) Because 56 isn't old
3) Because 57 is older
4) Because when I told my daughter I was thinking of this-she didn't freak out but said -"you want to do it because you can"
5) Because WHY NOT!!!

If not now -when-

6) And because-I am always have been one tough broad......

And also because I truly believe age is a state of mind and a healthy body is an incredible gift to cherish. I have spent 31 years running to stay healthy and fit. But I think the next 31 should be about continuing to challenge my mind as well.
Thanks again all of you for the encouragement .....happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment